We have all spent more time mentally convincing ourselves of doing a task than actually physically doing the task. Here are a few tips on how to stop procrastinating and get on with it.
1. MAKE LISTS! – I list everything. Shopping lists. Food lists. To do lists. You name it I list it. Something about crossing off each task one by one is so satisfying! You realise how productive you are being and how much you have accomplished in just 24 hours. Try writing a check list before you go to bed for the next morning, this way you know what and how much you have to achieve the next day.
2. CHANGE YOUR ENVIRONMENT – find what environment you work most well in and every couple of weeks or months change your surroundings. For example, I like to work where I can see the world moving around me and so rotate around different coffee shops. You will usually find me in Starbucks typing away on my laptop, looking up to talk to the old lady next me, then typing away again. Find what works best for you!
3. SET A CHALLENGE WITH A DEADLINE – turn whatever you have to do into a challenge. For example, if you need to complete a 10,000 word essay in a month break down this goal in to little stages and make sure you do 2,500 words every week. By doing this your challenge doesn’t seem so big after all and you’re more inclined to get the job done!
4. SURROUND YOURSELF WITH LIKEMINDED PEOPLE – Having people around you that are on your wavelength who also kick you up the butt to get a move on and reach to the top is SO important. These people are SO special and are SO hard to come across, keep them close!
5. BE VOCAL ABOUT YOUR GOALS – preaching to the world about your goals makes you more inclined to achieve them. There is an increased element of fear as you don’t want to fail and especially not let everyone know you’ve failed. Therefore, this goal is more on your mind with the strategy of achieving it.
6. MAN UP AND DO IT – My last tip for you guys is to MAN UP! Sometimes you have to do things you don’t want to do, to get to where you want to be. Life isn’t easy, so suck it up and get back to work!